Monday, December 29, 2008

Knitting book reviews...

Since I mentioned the book that brought this all about in my first post, I thought I'd tell you a little about it and some other books that I've found.

The Knitter's Companion is the one that started my journey. It's a handy little book that is compact enough to fit into your yarn bag. It contains pretty much everything you'd ever need to know to begin knitting. From basic supplies to button holes, it's all here. It may also be of use to those of us that periodically forget how to make a certain stitch or need help interpreting patterns.

This book is well written and contains great photos that help explain the verbiage. If you are a sight learner this is especially helpful!


Not Your Mama's Knitting is another book that I found helpful. I checked it out at the local library (something I definitely recommend when searching for new pattern ideas!), along with a few others.

What a cute book! It contains many tips, hints and ideas as well as some patterns to get you started. This was especially helpful to me when the verbiage in the first book confused me and things didn't click (which is apt to happen because I'm dyslexic and often need to look at things from other perspectives when trying to learn them.)

**I'll also note here that the photo says "Click to Look Inside" because I copied it from the Amazon website. You can click the link above to view it at their website.**


There are many other wonderful books out there. I recommend searching at the library or in a retail shop for the ones like you like the best. Then you can search online at Amazon or on e-Bay for a better price. I've purchased many, brand new, from e-Bay for less than $5 and most retail for $19.95 and up.

A few of my e-Bay finds include these:




"The Knitter's Bible" contains tons of information on more difficult attempts - cables, lace, knitting in the round, etc... It also has some unusual knitting ideas, such as greeting card accessories.

"Super Stitches Knitting" has over 300 stitching patterns with examples laid out neatly for each. What a better way to judge if your stitching is turning out like it should!

"The Knitter's Bible - Knitted Accessories" has over 30 templates with photos. It contains "hip" new looks that include hats and mittens. The patterns also suggest some interesting yarn choices.

I thought these book could get me started on my way to becoming an expert knitter!

No comments: