Monday, December 22, 2008

Life of a knitting "newbie"...

Part 1 - We've recently made a lot of changes around our household. The biggest of which involved homeschooling my son. He's a younger teen and pretty much self-sufficient. I've found that in certain subjects all I can do is review whatever is in the book and wait on him to complete the assignment. While waiting, I've found that I have a fair amount of time sequestered close by.

Part 2 - I'm an avid thrift store shopper and I ran across this small knitting "How to" book. It was $1.50 and seemed to be very informative. How could I pass that up? Besides, I need something to keep me occupied while waiting on my son. What a wonderful way to be productive and stay busy!

Part 3 - The craft store is the enemy of anyone starting a new craft on a budget! So I come home, after 3 hours of selecting and re-selecting yarn, with a small bag full of goodies. I picked up 3 skeins of yarn (yes, that took 3 hours - there are way too many to choose from!), a set of knitting needles that were on sale and a free project sheet with a neat looking shawl on it. Mind you, the project sheet said "Beginner" in the level section.

Part 4 - Three days later, I'm still trying to cast on! I think I know why someone got rid of this book...

Part 5 - Eureka! I cast on and made progress on the first row, after dropping my stitches off the needles about 4 times. (Muttering under my breath, "I can't believe people think this is stress-reducing.") In the mean time, I've decided that perhaps this nifty book is missing a few steps and I had better stick with the one stitch I have down - garter.

Part 6 - A week later and halfway through my shawl project (that I had to dumb down, because I am a beginner and can't make that pattern), I realize that I don't have enough yarn, I've dropped or slipped so many stitches that the shawl looks lacy in places and too tight in others. Again, I mentally question the therapy side of this craft.

Part 7 - Another week down. My headache from last week has finally subsided. I unravel my shawl and start a scarf!


Welcome to my knitting world...

2 comments:

Mrs. U said...

I had to laugh at this post! HAHA! I am struggling with knitting and I SO want to get it! It was nice to read this and be able to laugh at myself!! HA!!

I can do cast on with no problems. Then I start the garter stitch (is this what some call the knit stitch??) and I start falling apart there. I will think I'm doing fine, then I'll see that I've missed a stitch and I'll take the whole thing apart and start again.

Now there's something I need to learn, too, correcting mistakes without taking the whole thing apart!! LOL!!

I can't wait to read more and learn!

His,
Mrs. U

Thumperdd said...

So glad you could laugh! I can laugh too now that I look back on it.

I just want every new knitter to know that it's okay not to knit an Advanced pattern there first week at it. It's okay to make mistakes and it's okay if you can't figure out some stitches.

No one is perfect!