Tuesday, December 30, 2008

What's in the bag...

That's the question on my mind every time I see another knitter's bag. I just know there are all kinds of goodies and treasure lurking inside. The problem is that they're always busy knitting and I don't want to interrupt their project so I never ask.

Just in case you were wondering what is in my "newbie" bag, I thought I'd share!

First, I found a tote bag with a shoulder strap AND handles. That enables me to choose how I carry the bag and helps when I have my hands full. (My knitting inspiration has a new, neat bag with her name embroidered on it. It's beautiful, but I don't have the funds or the need for a new bag. Like most people I seem to accumulate tote bags from various business functions.) This one has a separate zippered pocket on the front that is perfect to carry my trusty scissors and crochet hooks in.

Here's a complete list of my treasures found inside:
  • The Knitter's Companion - expanded and updated by Vicki Square. This is my companion when all else fails. Read more about this book in my Book Reviews post.
  • An assortment of needles - US 6/4mm (slippery little metal suckers found at Kmart on clearance for $1.00), US 10/6mm (my first - plastic and extra long), US 13/9mm and US 17/12mm (these are the plastic swirl ones, found at AC Moore on clearance for $2.00 per set)
  • Crochet hooks - D3/3.25mm, E4/3.50mm, F5/3.75mm, G6/4.25mm, H8/5.00mm, I9/5.50mm, J10/6.00mm, K10 1/2/6.50mm (these came in a pre-packaged set and are good basics to have around for edges)
  • 2 large and 2 medium holding hooks - these are wonderful when you've dropped a stitch and choose to go back and pick it up.
  • A finger yarn separator - for when I finally get up the nerve to use multiple yarns
  • Plastic place markers - again, if I have enough nerve to try a difficult pattern...
  • Various patterns collected from displays and yarn labels
  • A small pair of sharp scissors
  • Some scrap cardboard - for rolling balls of yarn
  • An ink pen - I may need it for those more difficult patterns
  • An empty, plastic shopping bag - if I carry a lot of yarn I separate it so I can pull it out easily to find what I need. It's also good to put finished works in until I get home.
  • Lastly, a crochet booklet - Don't shoot me, but it's on my list to learn. Besides, I have all of those neat hooks just hanging around waiting to be used!


Here's a close-up:


Going over my bag I realize that there are a few things that I'd like to add: a nail file (it's recommended in the book, but I've never needed one until last night), a small note pad (for counting stitches) and maybe some graphing paper (it's be nice, in case I have trouble following a complicated pattern).

If you're just starting a bag I'd recommend searching for the clearance sections of each craft store, thrift shops or yard sales. You can spend over $15 for a new set of needles and many times you can find them for a few dollars there. Also, look for gadgets and gizmos while you're there. As in my case, I don't need them now, but hopefully I'll need them in the coming year. Including my books I may have $20 in my bag and that's a price you can't beat!

No comments: