Saturday, December 27, 2008

My second project...

After completing my original shawl (but before the decision to unravel that mess) I attempted something smaller. I decided that my goal would be to try something new with every new project. I continued with the same stitch, garter, as I still wasn't 100% comfortable with how I was holding the needles, the tension, etc...

My son had been watching me avidly with my first project and had inquired about something for himself. Hence, I decided on something useful and manly. This is what I arrived at...





The colors don't come through well on the photo, so I'll describe it for you. I picked Leaf Green (Moss) from Premiers' Dream line for the main body because green is my son's favorite color. The dark color is Dark Country Blue and the other accent color is Off White (cream) both from Carons' Simply Soft line. My thoughts were on some of the sweaters I've seen recently when picking these out. Additionally, green, navy and cream go with everything.

The design was my own. I couldn't find a pattern that I liked so I made one up as I went along. I simply alternated colors, always surrounding the blue with cream, as if to offset it or highlight the change. I liked the thought of a random pattern so I chose to offset the large color change and finish with a more traditional look.

I learned three valuable lessons with this scarf -

  • When you attempt a color change, always bind-on on the same side or right side. (Binding-on is tying on a new color at the edge.) If you don't you'll end up with a noticeable separation in your change. That ended up being fine with this scarf, as I was deliberately alternating colors in a mismatched way. My error turned out to work in the scheme!


  • Gauging is a good idea! I can't stand rigidity. I rebuked the idea that I should waste time making a sample and gauging my work. Even though I was working with the same weight of yarn (4) in each color, I ended up with a noticeable wave when changing colors and from start to finish on the scarf there is a difference of about 2 inches width wise. I believe that part of the problem was my tension and the other part is that there truly is a small difference in the color. (The blue was slightly thicker, because I tightened my blue stitches until I could hardly work the needles and it was still a fatter stitch than the green woven loosely.)





The wave that you see here in the center is really part of my error, not the way the scarf is laying. I think you can also see the width difference - the start is on the left and the end on the right.

  • Finally, don't waste time pulling your tail ends through with a knitting needle. (Pulling tail ends is when you weave the tail from your cast or bind-on into the finished project.) You CAN do it with needles, but you save half the time by purchasing a set of crochet hooks and hook the tail. Trust me. I'm cheap and didn't buy any. After this project I couldn't get to the craft store fast enough to pick them up!


Anyway, the great thing is that my son doesn't mind at all. He says "Mom, it's fine. No one can tell when it's wrapped around my neck. Anyway, you made it." Tear, tear, sniffle...sometimes kids are great!

2 comments:

Mrs. U said...

Wow, this is GOOD!! I cannot even imagine trying to change colors! You did such a fantastic job!!

I have so much to learn- I have no idea what binding on is, can't imagine how to change colors and am clueless as to what crochet hooks could do for knitting! LOL!!

I know your son is super happy and WARM, too!

His,
Mrs. U

Thumperdd said...

Thanks! Actually, the color change was one of the easier things I've learned. There are several ways to do it.

I normally just tie on at a corner, leaving a tail of about 2-3 inches. Then, when the project is complete, use the crochet hooks to weave the ends back into the fabric. This makes everything look nice and tidy AND you don't have to worry about it coming loose on you.

Good luck in your learning. I was really stressed at first but I've completed about 12 projects now and I love it! I am still having problems with "easy" patterns though...

In Christ,
Danita