Saturday, February 14, 2009

Continental versus Traditional

Do you ever wonder what the difference is between Continental knitting and traditional? or English, American and German? How about standard and throwing or right-handed versus left-handed? Did you even know there was a difference? More importantly, did you just get a headache?

These are examples of knitting styles others may refer to:


German, European, Left-handed, Continental, Looking-glass, Standard, Picking


and


English, American, Western, Traditional, Right-handed, Throwing


What's the difference?


Other than obvious name confusion there's not alot of difference. You may have presumed from the name game that the main difference is right and left handed. It really is that simple.



Do you work your incoming yarn from the left hand or the right?


Lefties are called by the top names and righties by the lower names.



You may have seen people working on their knitting who take many more steps than you or someone who you thought was knitting improperly but could really fly on those sticks. Perhaps this is why. This video gives a great example of both versions and a terrific explanation as to which is faster. If you're a crocheter trying your hand at knitting you can benefit from this video, too!






I taught myself how to knit Continental and often have people tell me that I'm knitting incorrectly. That's okay with me. I get the same results in half the time and save my precious right arm alot of trouble!

By the way, there are other ways to knit, but one headache a day is enough. ;-)

Thanks JadieLady! She sent me this link in a comment and gave me the idea.

3 comments:

Jadielady said...

Glad to help!! My friend that I taught how to knit insists on throwing WITH HIS LEFT HAND! Oddest thing I've ever seen. And he's not left handed.

WarPony said...

Oh my goodness! THANK YOU for this video! It helped me out sooooo much! This is much easier and faster than the instructions in the book I am trying to follow!

Thumperdd said...

Glad to be of help! I needed all the help I could get when I started in the fall and wish I had known about YouTube's knitting snippets then...