Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Have you heard of Amigurumi???


While searching for my Monday's with Etsy featured seller I continuously ran upon Amigurumi Patterns. I'd never heard this term before. I happened to be Twittering at the same time, so naturally I asked about it on Twitter. (Have I told you that I'm addicted to that site??? Well, I am...)



Thanks to Jadielady & mysie_at_etsy for their help with this mystery!




Amigurumi means Knitted stuffed toy in Japanese (according to Wikipedia). Although crochet appears to be just as common during creation. The toys can be intricate or artistically rendered.



Traditionally, the patterns run in spirals and use multiple colors. These creations are made on small or fine needles, which prevents the stuffing from escaping. This translates into very time-consuming for me! ;-)



The patterns I've found are precious. Here are a few of my favorites...



Worm in Apple



Fairy Doll & Mushroom Set

Fuzzy Guinea Pig



Elton, the Sheep (doesn't he look like the Serta sheep??)


From the traditional to the not-so:




Pancake Stack Treasure Plate (this reminds me of an actual plate from the 60's!)

If you are interested in any of these patterns, just click on the photo and it will take you straight to the proper individuals' Etsy shop.

*****

Moral of the story -

If you're looking for a way to test your skills and while away some hours...these may be just the thing you're looking for! Enjoy!

Photographic rights are retained by the individual artist.
Links are accessed through the photos above.

1 comment:

byapryl said...

I had no idea what that word meant. Thanks for the explaination. Those stuffed creations are sooo cute!