Saturday, April 4, 2009

My latest contribution to the Prayer Shawl ministry

We've been blessed with tons of donated yarn! Unfortunately, some of the yarn is older and you're unable to find comparable yarn to match with it. This was the case with this lovely, Lavender, virgin wool. We had one large skein, and no other wool or comparable color to go with it.

Since it was a larger skein and somewhat bulky yarn I thought I'd given it a go with some large sticks and an open design. Although, I ended up crocheting this one to try out a new-to-me stitch, the bobble.

It's done on an "N", I think, which is about twice the width of one of those Kindergarten pencils. Do you remember them? My family laughed at me when I pulled out the hook, as it's very fat and glaringly white. Whatever. It got the job done!

The tad bit of leftover yarn I had went to making tassels for each corner. I still can't decide whether or not I want to felt the blanket to make it a little more substantial looking. Right now it makes a great lightweight, summery blanket.


(Yes, I know the photo is blurry. I'm trying new tricks on my camera and the project has already been turned in...sorry!)


What do you think? To felt or not to felt, that is the question... :-)

If you're unfamiliar with the term - to felt wool means to fluff or bulk it up a little by washing it or rinsing it in warm/hot water and then cool. This causes a little pilling and tightening of the wool, giving a fuzzy appearance and feel.

2 comments:

Jadielady said...

Very lovely shawl!! I think its beautiful as is :)

Thumperdd said...

Thanks, Jadie!