Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Did I tell you that...

Did I tell you guys that learning how to crochet was also on my to-do list? Well, it was. Did you hear the sound of me checking it off?

I started by putting an edge on this baby blanket/lap robe that I knitted in stockinette. Yes, stockinette. As much as I complain about the rolling issue, I love the way it looks and feels, especially with a yarn that patterns. Speaking of self-patterning yarn - I pulled this cute wool yarn out of the Prayer Shawl Ministry stash. There was only one skein and this particular yarn is no longer being manufactured. I paired it up with this super soft acrylic, also from the stash and discontinued.

The self-patterning yarn was navy blue with random color changes from teal to yellow to peach, but very subtle and understated colors. This may have made up some great socks! The problem came with the pairing. The acrylic was a similar shade of blue and initially the two looked great together. However, after several rows I noticed that the pattern was lost in the mix. Darn it. When you stand back it almost makes the blanket look worn or dirty. Oh, well! It's still super soft and cozy warm. I can just picture some little baby snuggled up for bedtime in it!

Once the crochet edging had been completed it did look better, but still not quite how I had pictured. AND, of course, the blanket still rolls, although not as badly. Perhaps once it's washed it will stop the incessant rolling.


Oh, and no, that's not a pocket in the middle. I got tired of the same stitch about halfway through and decided to add a square in the center. This enabled me to switch up the stitch by changing from purl to knit and vice versa periodically, while leaving an interesting design on both sides. This is another design trick I can check off my list!

1 comment:

Jadielady said...

Beautiful! It looks very soft :)