Sunday, January 25, 2009

The 1st Prayer Shawl Ministry meeting...

Today was the day! We had about 14 people there today and 4 that couldn't come but wanted to sign up. 3 of those have never knitted or crocheted before and are willing to learn! I thought that was wonderful. I was like a kid at Christmas this week - so excited and couldn't wait for today!

I had our first prayer shawl blessed by the pastor Wednesday because I wanted to give one away today at the meeting. One of the first people to sign up as a participant is actually the person that inspired me to knit and, unfortunately, she was diagnosed with cancer almost 3 years ago. She has been very sick lately and had her last chemo cancelled due to an extremely low white blood cell count. Since she's the reason that I knit and truly in need of some extra love right now I thought it befitting that we open the ministry by a gift back to her.


We set a rough plan in place to service our church this first quarter and potentially expand the ministry to other agencies outside of the church in the next quarter. We've decided to do shawls, lap robes (thought this was good for men), and scarves for our group of high school graduates this year.

We're going to "package" the projects with a notecard about the ministry, a prayer and care instructions. The packaging will be a simple ribbon and bow. Our church has a visitation pastor and he normally visits people in the hospital and soon after their return home. They decided to allow him to take some items with him and the rest will be delivered by ministry volunteers. They thought privately dispensing them would be the best, due to some people not wanting everyone to know when they're not well.

We want to hold a blessing ceremony during the regular Sunday service once every quarter so the whole congregation can participate. We also considered presenting the graduates with their scarves during our normal graduation service in the summer.

I did forget one thing a the meeting. I forgot to ask what we wanted to name the ministry. I thought that Prayer SHAWL Ministry was kind of limiting since we want to provide the scarves and lap robes, too. Anyway, I guess I can bring that up at our next meeting.

We decided to meet once a month, the last Sunday of the month right after church, as many of the participants are heavily involved in other ministries and work full-time. We also have a few people gathering Wednesday nights during the school year already.

I know we've probably left alot out, but it's a start. What do you think? Oh, I found out this week that one of our sister churches has a Prayer Shawl Ministry that meets Wednesday's at 3pm. I think I'll try to visit them this week and observe.

What a truly wonderful way to start the New Year...

1 comment:

Mrs. U said...

Sounds like y'all are in for a real blessing!! And I LOVE that y'all are doing things for gentlmen and graduates, too! WONDERFUL idea!!!

His,
Mrs. U