Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Fleece Prayer Shawl


Here it is! Boy, for a piece of scrap fabric from the craft store it turned out well...even if I say so myself. It's toasty warm and soft. The fleece is a navy blue color and approximately 3/4 of a yard. I fringed both ends (with no knot - most people knot each strand, but I didn't like that look so I left them loose.)

The embroidered cross turned out okay. It was my first attempt at free hand embroidery and is only slightly askew. I wish the photo had turned out a little better so you could see the detail, but basically it's a small pointed cross.

This is a fantastic no-sew project for those of you that don't have a ton of spare time or don't feel inclined to produce fabric arts. You just clean up the edges with some basic scissors. Heck, if you want to get fancy I suppose you could use pinking shears. You can leave the piece solid or fringe the edge.

Wouldn't this be cute with some felted or crocheted flowers? Perhaps you could add some ribbons to the fringe by knotting them together. The possibilities are endless and fleece can be found in large remnant quantities right now.

No comments: