Monday, January 12, 2009

Well, mom says it's okay...

Here's one of the latest in prayer shawls. It is the first I've tried from the triangular angle (haha!) I have this bad habit that I developed with recipes several years ago. Sometimes I read cookbooks for inspiration, never truly trying a specific recipe, just making things up from combinations of other recipes. Or I read over the recipe and then rethink it as I throw it together.

Now I find that I've been doing that with my knitting. At least I don't have to worry about whether or not it'll rise!

So, this little number came from a legitimate pattern and I butchered it. This is the result - I call it my Bat Wing Shawl.


Here's the story. I cast on three knit stitches and yarned over one stitch at the beginning of each row thereafter. Several rows in I realized that if I continued at that rate I would have a shawl taller than most people and it would be more of a bathrobe than a shawl.
Thus began my bright idea of going up 3 stitches every row. 10 rows later I went to increasing 5 stitches every row. I'm still not sure if I was just impatient or hadn't thought it through completely.

I happened to be at my mother's when I determined it was completed and cast off. I was dismayed but good ole mom, she said "I think it's cute. It kind of reminders me of something my grandmother used to wear. You know, just a different color..."

Since mom gave her blessing I refuse to unravel it. I just pray that the person that gets it enjoys it!

1 comment:

Mrs. U said...

I think this is pretty! Your mom is right! It looks like a normal shawl, in my opinion. BUT I am just a beginner, so maybe you see mistakes that I don't???

Oh, I have a knitting question... I am just working on a simple scarf and suddenly it has gotten WIDER!! How in the WORLD did I add extra stitches on BOTH sides??????? AARRGGGHHHH!!!!

His,
Mrs. U