Thursday, January 22, 2009

Newest Prayer Shawl

Here's Johnny...

Well, not Johnny, but another prayer shawl. This is number five. It's very similar to the "Bat Wing Shawl" but I think it's significantly better, in my opinion. I used the same Sensations Boucle yarn by JoAnn's. It's a combination of pink, gray and black and this yarn is self-patterning.

The main difference between this shawl and the other is that I tried a different stitch combination. The Bat Wing Shawl was very haphazard and not well thought out on my part. Although, it is an interesting design.

For this shawl I started with 3 stitches cast on and increased each row by three - a yarn over at the beginning and end and one near the center of the shawl. I cast off at 175 stitches. It's knitted on size US 17 needles and utilizes the standard knit stitch. (The stockinette stitch wouldn't show up well with this yarn stitched on so large a needle.) This particular yarn comes on a massive roll and I used about 1/3 of a skein for this project.

The interesting thing about this design is the fact that the shawl was knitted as a triangle and once off the needles rounded itself out. If you look at this picture closely you'll notice the circular pattern radiates from the top center of the back. This was a completely unexpected effect that I do enjoy. (The yellow dots are on the models shirt and not part of the design.)

No comments: